To decide what kind of nursing intervention or nursing management for the anxiety's patient, the Nurses should make an assessment in two point ; Actual or Potential before they make their nursing care plan (NCP) note. Then the nurses collect some information, why the patient become anxiety.
May be related to :
- Anesthesia intervention
- Anticipated or actual pain
- Him or Her condition (Disease)
- Invasive/noninvasive procedure during treatment
- Loss of significant other
- Threat to self-concept
- Other may appear on Him/Her self
To help and support the assessment's data, look and check on :
- Physiological; Elevated Blood Pressure , Pulls and Respiration. Insomnia, Restlessnes, Dry mouth, Dilated pupils, Frequent urination, Diarrhea.
- Emotional; Patient complains of apprehension, nervousness, tension
- Cognitive; Inability to concentrate. Orientation to past. Blocking of thoughts, hyper-attentiveness
Plan and Outcome data :
The patient will :
- Demonstrate a decrease in anxiety A.E.B.:
- A reduction in presenting physiological, emotional, and/or cognitive manifestations of anxiety.
- Verbalization of relief of anxiety.
- Discuss/demonstrate effective coping mechanisms for dealing with anxiety.
Nursing Interventions :
- Assist patient to reduce present level of anxiety by:
- Provide reassurance and comfort.
- Stay with person.
- Don't make demands or request any decisions.
- Speak slowly and calmly.
- Attend to physical symptoms. Describe symptoms: Give clear, concise explanations regarding impending procedures.
- Focus on present situation.
- Identify and reinforce coping strategies patient has used in the past.
- Discuss advantages and disadvantages of existing coping methods.
- Discuss alternate strategies for handling anxiety. (Eg.: exercise, relaxation techniques and exercises, stress management classes, directed conversation (by nurse), assertiveness training)
- Set limits on manipulation or irrational demands.
- Help establish short term goals that can be attained.
- Reinforce positive responses.
- Initiate health teaching and referrals as indicated:
Labels: NCP Psychology - Anxiety
Management Nursing Care Plans @ 12:18 AM,